What to Pack for a Three Month Backpacking Trip
The best packing advice I ever received is this: Pack as if you are going for 10 days. Why? Because it is much easier to pack for a week or a 10-day trip. You can do laundry for any trip longer than 10 days. When you think about it that way, it makes packing much more manageable. Here’s the full list of items I brought with me on my three-month backpacking adventure.
- The backpack: Osprey Kyte 46 Pack – Women’s
- The day bag: Longchamp Le Pliage Large Tote
- The night bag: Fossil Crossbody Purse
- 1 North Face Women’s Fastpack Wind Jacket
- 1 lightweight green jacket
- 2 short rompers [ one black and one black/white ]**Ended up mailing one home.
- 1 long romper [ black/white ]
- 2 dresses [ one black and one black/white stripes ]
- 2 pants [ one black jeans and one blue jeans ]
- 4 short sleeve tops [ one pink cotton, one grey cotton, one teal cotton and one black silk ] **Ended up mailing the teal shirt home and buying a blue cotton t-shirt.
- 1 grey tank top [ casual ]
- 1 grey cotton long sleeve top [ causal ]
- 8 pairs of underwear
- 2 sports bras
- 2 real bras [ black and nude ]
- 3 pairs of socks
- 1 pair of black Nike shorts
- 1 pair of black Nike pants
- 1 black bandeau [ needed for some of the dresses and shirts ]
- 1 black cardigan
- 1 black/white scarf
- 1 black pajama romper
- 1 swimsuit
- 1 black floppy hat **Ended up mailing home.
- Black Steve Madden sandals **Ended up switching out for white Converses mid-trip.
- Brown Steve Madden sandals
- Black flip flops [ shower shoes ]
- Nike tennis shoes
- Black ballet flats
- Waterproof watch
- Foldable clothesline
- Sink stopper**Never used. Ended up throwing away.
- Moneybelt **Only used once. Ended up throwing away.
- Quick-dry towel
- Thin sleeping sheet
- Brita Water Bottle [ with interior filter ]
- Small laundry bag
- Silk pillowcase
- Mini bottle of wrinkle release
- Thin sleeping sheet
- Lonely Planet Western Europe Guide Book
- Lonely Planet Central Europe Guide Book
- Passport [ plus two copies ]
- Drivers license [ plus two copies ]
- International drivers license
- Eurail train pass
- Copies of hostel/Airbnb confirmations **Never needed to reference. Ended up using as scrap paper.
- Basic toiletries [ plus one pink nail polish ]
- Makeup [ travel size basics ]
- All clothing items should match. Neutral colors are best.
- Roll [ don’t fold ] your clothes and use packing cubes.
- Pack a comfortable pair of shoes in addition to tennis shoes (Converses, TOMS, etc.). They are a bit more fashionable than tennis shoes for when your feet have had enough of those cute sandals!
- Avoid packing cosmetic jewelry. A simple pair of earrings and watch will suffice.
- Use mini bottles for toiletries. You can restock at local grocery/convenience stores throughout your trip.
- Remember, you can mail items home and/or purchase clothes during your trip. So avoid packing a heavy jacket if you don’t need it until your last month.
- There is no shortage of laundry mats in Europe. Pack less and do laundry more.
Ready to plan your adventure? Here are a few more posts to help you get started.
- A Three-Month Itinerary
- A 14-Day Itinerary to Five European Capital Cities
- Five Easy Ways to Save Money, Spend Less and Travel More
- Why I Chose to Backpack Europe [and how you can too!]
Share these tips with other travelers — pin it!
Anchored Adventure Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. When you make a purchase from the links above [at no additional cost to you], I earn a small commission.
[ and by commission, I’ve made literally pennies! ]